Saturday, September 22, 2012

"Right where you are"




     In the words of Bob Dylan, " It's not dark yet, but its getting there." This state is finally growing on me. Maybe its the changing of the seasons that has brought with it a change in my heart. The weather is so inviting right now, beckoning me to come out and play  Bright sunny days for running around and cool crisp evenings that require a small fire in the wood stove. It all happened so fast too. I left for two weeks and when I returned the bugs were mostly gone, the leaves were changing and the sunsets were taking up temporary residence on the horizon once again. I had forgot how much I love the transition between night and day, not to mention the moon and stars. Up here in the summer you forget about the universe thats around you. You just get use to to the constant sunlight and lack of the alpine glow that I so dearly love.
     It has been a slow summer in regards to fire activity up here but I am welcoming the break from having my nose to the grindstone. I so enjoy having a summer in conjunction with working a fire job. My feet do a little jig whenever they are able to be free from the confining space or a fire boot. Life is to short to not wear sandals in the summer!
     So at the beginning of the summer I bought an old vintage 1980's motorcycle to commute to work on. I felt like I was in Easy rider on this thing. So free, out crusing on the open road. But shortly after purchasing it the hog broke down and I am not a mechanic so it sat for the rest of the summer. It will be a good winter project. Anyways my coworker also bought a bike this summer. However hers is a bit nicer than mine...2012 BMW GS650. Its really nice. So towards the end of the season after the newness wore off of it she handed me the keys and told me to go put some miles on it for the weekend. And that I did. I rode south till my heart was content then pulled over for the night at a view spot for Denali. It was there that I truly believe I felt the Lord speak to me. That evening while smoking my pipe and watching an unobstructed sunset over "the great one" I felt the Lord say to me "Right where you are". This was I believe in response to a question I had been asking myself all summer... "Was comming to AK the right choice?" It was good to hear confirmation on this. So with that I relaxed and settled in to one of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever witnessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment